How To Participate In Hockey Cares 2018
Thursday Mar 08th, 2018Share
In its first year, the Hockey Cares project facilitated an exchange between Oakville and Attawapiskat bantam-aged hockey players. Attawapiskat youth travelled to Oakville in July 2017, and the Oakville youth went to Attawapiskat in November 2017, to learn from their new friends, play hockey, and experience a new culture.
The Hockey Cares 2017 project was the first to be funded by the Downie Wenjack Fund, and we continue that partnership to take ACTION into 2018 and beyond.
Hockey Cares is currently working on a second exchange, to take place in 2018, with First Nations Attawapiskat youth. Bantam-aged hockey players (boys and girls born in 2004) are invited to submit an application to participate. It's an experience of a lifetime for both Oakville and Attawapiskat youth and a chance to be part of reconciliation.
You're invited to attend an information night on March 29th to learn more!
When: March 29th, 7pm
Where: Century 21 Office, 209 Speers Rd, Unit 9 in Oakville
This information session is for prospective players and parents. If you aren't able to attend the session but would like more information, click here.
- The Attawapiskat players will be coming to Oakville from July 5th to 9th. Oakville players will meet Attawapiskat youth, will play hockey together and take part in fun events in Oakville and Toronto. These events are planned well in advance by the Hockey Cares committee, designed to be both fun and of cross-cultural educational value. Attawapiskat players, parents, and chaperones will be housed at Sheridan College in Oakville.
- The Oakville players, parents and chaperones travel to Attawapiskat from November 8th to 12th, to play hockey, have fun, and learn about First Nations (Cree) culture. We are booked at a Attawapiskat hotel.
- There are a limited number of spots for parents or chaperones wishing to accompany players to both Oakville and Attawapiskat. Additional chaperones will be provided by the Hockey Cares team.
- First time participants’ travel expenses are covered by Experiences Canada. Those participating for a second time will need to fully cover their own travel expenses.
- An additional financial commitment is $300 per player to cover insurance costs. You will also be required to join Hockey Cares’ fundraising efforts.
- All accepted players must commit to both the Oakville and Attawapiskat portions of the exchange.